Inspiring women from across Australia’s world-class resources sector have been recognised at Parliament House in Canberra this morning with the announcement of the winners of the Rio Tinto 2018 Women in Resources National Awards.
The Awards – in their fifth year – acknowledge the efforts and achievements of exceptional women and gender diversity champions who are paving the way for others in the resources sector across Australia.
Encouraging women to pursue and continue a career in mining is vital if we are to increase the number of STEM professionals in resources and build our workforce of the future.
It is also clear from evidence that diversity and inclusion drive productivity, innovation and performance.
With only 16 per cent of Australia’s minerals workforce being women, it’s clear that there’s a big job ahead.
An Awards Breakfast addressed by the Minister for Jobs, Industrial Relations and Women The Hon Kelly O’Dwyer MP recognised the following winning women in Australian resources:
- Exceptional Woman in Australian Resources: Winner – Melanie McCarthy (Mandalay Resources); Highly Commended – Nicole Brook (Glencore), Jo-anne Dudley (Rio Tinto); Special Judges Award (Entrepreneurship) – Peta Libby (Digirock)
- Exceptional Young Woman in Australian Resources: Winner – Nima Sherpa (BHP); Highly Commended – Kristy Christensen (South32)
- Gender Diversity Champion in Australian Resources: Winner – Rachel Durdin (Rio Tinto); Highly Commended – Veena Mendez (Chevron Australia); Deirdra Tindale (BHP)
- Outstanding Australian Trade, Operator or Technician: Winner – Nicole O'Keefe (BHP); Highly Commended – Dannielle Weston (Hastings Deering); Special Judges Award (Industry Contribution) – Katrina Bangay (Rio Tinto/Energy Resources Australia)
- Excellence in Diversity Programs and Performance Award: Winner – Rio Tinto White Ribbon Accreditation (Western Australia); Highly Commended – Rio Tinto Inclusion and Diversity (Weipa Operations).
The awards are a partnership between the Minerals Council of Australia, Chamber of Minerals and Energy Western Australia, NSW Minerals Council, South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy, Tasmanian Minerals and Energy Council and Queensland Resources Council.
The MCA and our Awards partners congratulate all the winners and finalists and look forward to working with them and many other people in our great industry to create a more diverse and stronger sector in the years ahead.